The collection of fine arts was born and enriched together with the other special collections, so it formed an organic part of the structure of the standing exhibitions of the museum. The modest material at the time was placed in state-rooms No. V and VI of the new building, as early as in 1914. This means that the most favourable conditions of presentation were ensured for the collections of pictures and sculptures and fine arts. The catalogue compiled by Nándor Krammer in 1902 contains 304 relics but the overall picture is extremely mixed. The collection, in addition to the works of art by one or two minor local artists, contained the drawings by Munkácsy as a young man and paintings and sculptures of various levels, all coming from national resource and also the replicas made after masterpieces and drafts, carvings, goldsmith’s works of some of the trainees of contemporary art schools (the Budapest Applied Arts School, National School of Decorative Arts and Art Teacher Training School). In the two collection units (in the one of fine arts and in that of applied graphics) at present over 5,000 relics are being preserved. The most significant period of enrichment of the material of fine arts date back to 1930 to 1938, 1945 to 1949 and 1970 to 1983. The acquisition of the so-called “castle pictures”, combined with picture-saving, was characteristic of the period right after the period of the war. The third period mostly abounded in the enrichment of graphic material. Until the 1970s, in line with the general character of the material of fine arts, the collection was mostly enriched by graphics and drawings by artists of Békés county decent.
Recently, in line with the ever more accented system of applications, our material has been enriched by the works of art of the latest view of the 1990s (Pál Gerber, István Orosz, László Révész). By way of distribution of the estate, the museum took possession of several prints by Béla Kondor, drafts and drawings by Lipót Herman and engravings and aquarelles by István Szőnyi. The part of collection comprising individual works of art and drafts of all kinds of applied graphics (posters, illustrations, trade prints, etc) is built on the awarded works of the Graphic Design Biennial implemented in the Munkácsy Mihály Museum and the material of the Colony of Artists of Applied Graphics, which was active until the 1990s. The most important pieces of the oeuvre of Gábor Papp, also known as the starter of the Békéscsaba Graphic Design Biennial, who combined constructivist traditions with sensitive graphic pureness, are also part of our Collection of Applied Graphics.